Lesson of the day: If you're determined to go X-Games on the streets of New York, wear a helmet and don't post about it on Instagram. That's what got Meek Mill in trouble with the law. NYPD officers arrested the Philadelphia-born rapper Thursday night for reckless endangerment for popping wheelies and riding his dirt bike without a helmet through upper Manhattan. Sophia T. Mason, a detective with the Office of the Deputy Commissioner for Public Information, confirmed his arrest to USA TODAY. he incident happened Wednesday but it took the NYPD a while to identify the 30-year-old rapper, whose real name is Robert Rihmeek Williams.
NBC4 New York and TMZ report they were able to do so using a video on his Instagram page. The video has since been pulled down. His lawyer, Joseph Tacopina, told The Daily News Meek was arrested because he's famous. "It really stinks of obvious targeting an individual who is a celebrity and maybe who law enforcement don't like, and it's not what the system is supposed to be about," he said. "If his name was John Smith, he wouldn't have even been arrested,” the lawyer said. “You could go to 110th St. and Dyckman right now and you'll see 10 kids popping wheelies on their bikes. Nobody gets arrested."
While Chris Brown’s 2009 assault on Rihanna made headlines around the globe, the “Questions” singer is now revealing shocking details about the story you’ve probably never heard. In the documentary, “Chris Brown: Welcome To My Life,” the star said Rihanna had doubts about his fidelity early in their relationship. After denying he was involved with a woman he worked with, he finally admitted they had a past. “Around like, the eighth month or maybe a little bit after that [2007 Video Music Awards] performance,
I just broke it to her,” Brown says. “Before we were together, me and this other girl did have sex. My trust totally was lost with [Rihanna]. She hated me.” Brown said the two would engage in verbal and physical fights, where “she would hit me [and] I would hit her.” “I felt like a f—— monster,” Brown says Things took a turn when Rihanna spotted the other woman at a pre-Grammys party and later discovered a text from the woman that was sent to Chris. The “Needed Me Singer” began fighting Brown in his Lamborghini, he says, and they started “arguing and arguing and arguing.” “I remember she was trying to kick me. Just her just being upset,”
he says. “But then I really hit her. With a closed fist, like I punched her and it busted her lip. And when I saw it, I was in shock. I was like, ‘F—, why the hell did I hit her?'” Brown said Rihanna spit blood in his face, making him more infuriated than before. The couple fought as Brown drove and he says at one point Rihanna grabbed his genitals, which he responded to by biting her arm. “I look back at the picture and I’m just like, ‘Yo, bro. That’s not me, bro. That’s not me,'” he says. “I just, I hate it to this day. That’s gon’ haunt me forever.” Online, fans unleashed a flood of reactions.Listen Live: www.jamz101fm.com
BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (AP) — Alabama’s attorney general sued the city of Birmingham and its mayor Wednesday for obscuring a Confederate monument in a downtown park, citing a new state law that protects such markers. “The city of Birmingham does not have the right to violate the law and leaves my office with no choice but to file suit,” Attorney General Steve Marshall said in a statement. Legislators passed a law earlier this year prohibiting the removal of historical structures including rebel memorials. So, Birmingham Mayor William Bell ordered the city’s 52-foot-tall Confederate obelisk in Linn Park Memorial covered with wooden panels.
The box-like structure covers a panel that says the memorial to Confederate soldiers and sailors was dedicated in 1905 by the United Daughters of the Confederacy. City workers began installing the structure Tuesday, just days after deadly violence over a Confederate monument in Charlottesville, Va. Marshall said his office determined that city had “altered” or “otherwise disturbed’ the memorial in violation of the letter and spirit of the Alabama Memorial Preservation Act. “We look forward to the court system clarifying the rights and power of a municipality to control its parks absent state intervention,” Bell said in an emailed response to the lawsuit. Bell’s office says it’s also considering ways to challenge the law restricting the city’s authority to remove the memorial.
The mayor told local media the barrier was erected to protect it from vandalism. The new Alabama law prohibits the removal and alteration of monuments more than 40 years old. It also prohibits renaming schools that have carried a person’s name for more than 40 years. A new commission would have to approve changes to those between 20 and 40 years old. The law does not specify Confederate monuments, but came in the wake of cities beginning to take down the markers paying homage to the Confederacy. African-American lawmakers opposed the bill at every step of the legislative process. They argued that the monuments
pay tribute to the shameful legacy of slavery. “The Alabama Legislature should never have passed a law banning the removal of these symbols which represent the oppression of an entire race,” Richard Cohen, president of the Southern Poverty Law Center said in a statement Wednesday. ATLANTA NEWEST HIP HOP and R&B Station Listen Live: www.jamz101fm.com
Oakland Raiders cornerback Sean Smith -- who signed a $40 million contract last year -- was arrested Thursday and charged with felony assault, JAMZ 101.5 HD 2 ATLANTA has learned. Officials say Smith attacked his sister's boyfriend on July 4 -- beat and stomped on his head in Pasadena in the early hours. He's been charged with felony assault by means of force likely to produce great bodily injury and battery with serious bodily injury. If convicted,
Smith faces up to 7 years in state prison. It's not Smith's first brush with the law -- he was convicted of DUI stemming from a 2014 car crash in which he smashed into a light pole. We've reached out to the Raiders for comment -- so far, no word back. Smith's attorney, Daniel Rosenberg, says Smith maintains his innocence and vows to fight the charges.
Floyd Mayweather doesn't get in the ring with Conor McGregor until August 26, but the battle is on for Vegas nightclubs scrapping to book the biggest names for that weekend.
The lineups are already INSANE -- 50 Cent, Diddy, Chris Brown, The Chainsmokers, Jamie Foxx, Rick Ross, Calvin Harris, Amber Rose and even Conor himself are headlining parties. Here's how it's shaking out as of now:
Drai's -- 50 Cent, Trey Songz and Jeezy
Hakkasan -- Steve Aoki
Omnia -- Calvin Harris
JEWEL -- J. Cole
Hard Rock -- Amber Rose, YFN Lucci and Allen Iverson
SATURDAY (after the fight):
Drai's -- Chris Brown
XS Nightclub -- The Chainsmokers
Hakkasan -- Travis Scott
Marquee - DJ Mustard
The LIGHT -- Rick Ross
JEWEL -- Jamie Foxx
Rehab Beach Club -- Diddy
Encore Beach Club at Surrender - Conor McGregor
It won't be cheap if you want in with the celebs -- especially in VIP. One example ... a table at Diddy's party ranged from $1,500 to 20k, depending on location.
Biggest question -- does Conor show up at Surrender ... win or lose?
The Floyd Mayweather/Conor McGregor fight will be riddled with celebrities ... and TMZ Sports knows some who will be front and center. Here's a partial list: -- Angelina Jolie -- Drake -- Elon Musk -- Diddy -- Mark Wahlberg -- Denzel Washington -- Charlize Theron -- LL Cool J -- Jamie Foxx -- LeBron James -- Bob Kraft -- Rick Ross -- Adam Levine -- Michael Bay -- Avicii There are other celebs who have bought tickets under the radar and will just show up.
And there are a bunch of celebs who will go to Vegas a week from Saturday but won't go near the ring. They'll watch the fight at party venues and attend what everyone expects to be the wildest after-parties of the year.Listen Live: www.jamz101fm.com
Wrestling legend Ric Flair is experiencing “multiple organ problems” and remains listed in critical condition at an Atlanta-based hospital, according to his fiancée, Wendy Barlow. “I have been unable to talk on the phone without crying and just feel shocked over events,” Barlow said in a statement posted to her Facebook account, according to TMZ. Flair, 68, who wrestled for four decades during stints in WCW and WWE, has been hospitalized since the night of Aug. 11 after he complained of abdominal pain. “I want everyone to know he still needs prayers,” Barlow reportedly said. “I have been by his side since Friday and will continue to make sure he is getting the best care possible.” Details have been sparse,
but TMZ reports Flair was placed into a medically induced coma before preparing for an unspecified operation on Aug. 14. Flair’s daughter, Charlotte Flair, posted a photograph to Instagram on Aug. 15 that addressed her father’s condition. “On behalf of my family and I, we want to THANK everyone for the prayers, texts, calls and support,” Charlotte said. “Our Dad is a FIGHTER and your continued thoughts and prayers MEAN THE WORLD to us.” There is no word as of yet if Flair is out of a coma. A rep for WWE did not immediately respond to JAMZ 101.5 HD ATLANTA request for comment. Listen Live: www.jamz101fm.com